Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gnocchi sans gluten

In response to Gina's comment from the previous past about gnocchi...

Gluten-free gnocchi can be made with 3 parts rice flour to 1 part cornstarch. I've made some really good fluffy GF gnocchi that I served up with sage butter and roasted veggies and walnuts.

Actually, now that I think about, GF gnocchi makes tons of sense since less gluten makes for a less rubbery gnocchi. I think this calls for more experimentation. There are other flours like buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, teft, besan to try out.

The key to a light gnocchi is to use as little flour as possible. The egg will help bind the potato together and allow you to use less flour. Since gnocchi only has three ingredients, it pays to use high quality ingredients since any mediocrity in the ingredients will be very apparent.

That's it for now.

Jen




1 comment:

Gina said...

Thank you! I am armed for some serious cooking in the very near future.