Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr. Never Got Any Swag

What is that bright disc in the sky? Ack, my eyes are burning!

After another day of bruising storms, the rusty coast is enjoying a brief siesta. Enjoy!

Yesterday, our southern neighbours celebrated Martin Luther King Jr Day with a pageant of blindingly white smiles, frocks that exceed the GNP of most African countries, over-primped tresses, collagen plumped lips and silicon enhanced everything else known as the Golden Globe Awards. Actually, I'm just assuming that's what was showcased at the awards since I opted to spend the evening knitting a scarf for my sis and reading 'Ender's Game'. But I'm sure it was a great fashionable feast of Hollywood backpatting.

Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and legacy, re-reading Ender's Game and watching the mudfest that is Canadaland's federal election has me thinking about what makes a good leader, or in the case of the federal election, what doesn't make a good leader. At best, the party leaders look and sound like a bunch of cranky toddlers throwing poop and blame at each other. Watching the debates, I actually wished that the Parti Québécois ran in my riding. But they don't and I'm stuck trying to figure out which of the evils is the least malignant.

Not voting is not an option.

Men like Roy Mah and Douglas Jung and other men from the Chinese community went off to fight in WWII so brats like me could mark my 'X' like other Canadians. They gambled with their lives with no guarantee that their efforts would lead to the Chinese community's enfranchisement. They did it because they saw that they only way to change things was if they stepped up and made the changes within. Instead of sitting around and waiting for enfranchisement and equality, they took it upon themselves to act like Canadian citizens, to accept the responsibility of being an Canadian citizen despite the 'Alien' designation stamped on their birth certificates.

They weren't heroes. They were leaders.

And I would be a bugger if I didn't vote.

I'll leave you with this quote from Martin Luther King Jr.:
- 'But I know somehow, that only when it is dark enough, can you see the stars.'


P.S. - Just found out that a trip to the Antartica was part of the Golden Globe swag bag. Along with cold weather gear!!! If some generous swag recipient wants to pass on this trip and gear to little ole me, I'd be forever grateful. I'll even knit you a sweater.

No comments: