Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Asparagus Orgy

For my asparagus loving readers, Slow Food Vancouver Island is hosting an asparagus feast tomorrow in Duncan. Here’s their invite. It looks like it's going to be a yummy celebration!

There’s also a local farm & food forum being hosted by local farm advocates, Jenny Macleod and Dr. Kathryn Gemmell, at Nanoose Place (2925 Northwest Bay Road) on Saturday (May 26th) from 1pm to 3pm. For more info go here (midpage). I’ll be there putting in my locally grown two cents;)

The farmer’s market season is off to a great start. I popped over to the opening of the Cedar Market a few weekends ago and the place was busy right from the get go. Local vegetables, meats, jams & preserves and bedding plants were amongst the locally grown offerings. I picked up a couple of tomato plant ( I couldn't resist) and a huge broiler chicken that DH is still waxing poetic about.

In a previous entry, someone had commented about hothouse veggies and their not-so sustainable growing process. Though I agree that corporate hothouses are petro-hungry machines, there are a few small, local independent farms that are using more sustainable technology to heat their greenhouse. Some have made it a priority to make their operation as self-sustaining and low impact as possible by creating a closed heating systems and other practices. Some of gone out of their way to reuse old building material and glass as construction material. Though they do leave a bigger footprint than local organic field crops, they leave a much smaller footprint than corporate hothouse farms. These small independent farms are growing for the island community, not for export. I figure since they’re growing to feed the community, the community ought to support them back. The farmers selling these veggies are more than happy to talk to you about their operations. I’ve already garnered a number of invitations to their farms to see just how they are run.

I’d rather see folks buy an island grown hothouse cucumber than one from some factory farm from the mainland. Though I would advocate eating these hothouse products less frequently, I still would encourage folks to support the local farmers that are striving for more sustainable practices.

I’ve often been asked about what I do for products like rice, sugar and coffee since those aren’t grown within the 100 mile radius. If I can’t help the local environment and farmers then I look for an option that leaves the smallest footprint and hopefully helps a local independent farmer somewhere else. Direct fair trade sugar and coffee are my choices. I’ve had a lifetime of eating rice so I don’t eat it much anymore. If I want something rice-like I usually opt for whole grains. True Grains bakery sells whole kernel organic kamut and spelt that is grown in the Peace River district. These only need to be soaked for 8 hours or overnight then boiled up like pasta until they’re cooked through. They are chewy and have a wonderful wholesome flavour. Since they are complete whole grains, you’re getting much more nutrients. I often cook up a triple batch and freeze the leftovers in 2 cup portions for future meals. They’re great wherever you would use rice or pasta.

The 100 mile radius is but a tool to a more mindful approach to eating. I certainly don’t expect folks to completely stop eating foods they enjoy just because it isn’t grown within the prescribed 100 mile radius. Considering eating less of these foods less frequently and finding more locally grown options. Do what you can for now and strive to do more. Take it one bite at a time. Many will complain that it seems like so much work to find locally grown products. Once you’ve discovered a new locally grown resource, it’s found and yours to use. Once you know better, do better.

Yes, there is going to be a shift in your shopping habits and schedule. Yes, grocery shopping might not be as convenient in that the farmer’s market and farm gate sales aren’t a one stop shopping blitz that is open to you whenever you want. Yes, it’s going to take some research. See it as a challenge and an adventure!


BTW, I’ve been dyeing and spinning a storm of locally grown yarns. It’s kind of addictive but I’m thrilled that I’m going to be able to clothe myself with locally grown garments AND be able to finally have yarn that suits my greatest colourway fantasies and not have to break the bank. For more, check out my 100 Mile Fiber Fest blog.

Have a great day!

Jen

Nanaimo’s 100 Mile Diet Challenge

No comments: