Thursday, September 07, 2006

Plum Drunk


So I'm a genius. Really. At least that's how I feel whenever a food experiment of mine actually works.

Last night I decided I needed clear out some precious fridge real estate and started with that bucket of damson plums I picked up from Nanoose Edibles. I decided to make jam. But, of course, I couldn't just make regular, good ole, yummy damson plum jam. Nooooo. That would be too easy. Instead, I made Damson Plum White Wine jam. Not just any white wine, but Cherry Point's Coastal White 2004 which is kinda like a Vancouver Island twist on a Gewurztraminer.

Here's the basic recipe:
4 cups of pitted and finely chopped damson plums (you can try other plums if you want)
1 cup of Cherry Point Coastal White wine
1/2 teaspoon of veg. oil or butter (to prevent foaming)
1 package of low/no sugar pectin
2 1/2 cups of sugar


1- Mix the plum,wine and oil.
2- Whisk in pectin.
3- Bring to boil
4- Take it off the heat and dump in sugar and mix well.
5- Bring it back up to a hard boil for 3 mins.
6- Pour into sterilized canning jars. Pop on lids.
7- Process jars for 10-15 mins.

It's a beautiful jewel of a jam. The wine added a depth and light floral tones that regular old juice wouldn't have. While the jars were taking their bath, I sopped up the remaining jam in the pot with a chunk of homemade semolina bread, plopped on some Little Qualicum's fromage frais on top and enjoyed my ruby treat with the last of the wine.

In fact, it truly was the last of that wine since Cherry Point has sold out of the Coastal White at their vineyard. Oh well, all the more reason to try what elses this Cowichan Valley vineyard has to offer.

Happy eating!

Jen

No comments: